Tuesday, May 15, 2018

home and love and shoes


two weeks ago, i went to see dita von teese at the beacon theatre.  you remember my mention of it?  well anyway i went.  i saw.  i wore louboutins.  nach.  but just not this particular pair.  for the record, i am not a red sole acolyte, but for dita, who is the worlds best and most gorgeous ambassador for those soles, i knew i just had to.  i mean, how can one go to see dita von teese wearing anything else?

i got married in these shoes.  the second wedding that is.  they were very pristine bridal ivory at the time.  bought in beverly hills, and worn with a very l.a.confidential/jessica rabbit-esque beaded shimmery strapless mermaid gown that i could barely breath in, and my diamond chandelier earrings that would have made mae west very envious, swaying with my every move, catching the late afternoon sun.  glinting after dark.  my hair was parted deeply on one side and cascaded in shiny hollywood waves over one shoulder ever so seductively.  i wore jo malone orange blossom on my wrists, carried a few garden roses wrapped in satin ribbon, vodka on my breath, and most scandalous of all, went absolutely commando underneath.  better to keep the lines of the dress all smooth, as well as feel a nice breeze on that early september day.

it might have been my most beautiful day ever, but alas the second marriage was akin to the hindenburg, and went down in flames in a few short months.  i even burned the photos.  in the barbecue grill, i might add.  and threw the wedding band in the trash.

anyway, pragmatic girl that i was/am, after the wedding, i very quickly had these beauties dyed black.  hot pink was a consideration as well, but either way it didn't matter, because i never wore them again.  infused with bad energy and intense memories, i could barely look at the shoes yet alone wear them.  tinting them mourning black did nothing to cover their sins.

fast forward to may 1st and i was dressing for the night of burlesque ahead of me, and i practically turned the whole place upside down looking for the shoes with the red hot past.  just the thought of wearing those scorching, brazen, memory clogged femme fatale peep toe slippers felt so very right.  the need to wear them was so intense it defied all logic, but they were not to be found.  i managed to unearth another pair of scarlet soles, and off i went, scratching my head as to where the wedding shoes had gone.


 i wore my shimmery pink lamé mini kate the vampires wife dress, and these perfectly fine red soled stilettos.  so kate, i believe...another story, these...



but truly i was strangely overjoyed when i found the wedding shoes hidden away in a closet in my little country cottage when i visited the next week.  odd, but true.  for the first time in my whole life, i don't have parents, a husband, or a child to live with.  i feel weightless and strangely homesick, like there is a loop going round in my head playing footage of alices childhood, and mine as well.  where is home these days?  i don't know.

i just might have spent this past mothers day without seeing my only child.  a first.  i don't know why, but i was ok.  instead of focusing on me, i chose to celebrate the memory of my own mother by setting my table with her funky retro gold flatware that she loved so much, and drinking my coffee out of her china teacup.  i truly know in my heart that someday i will have family again.  life around me.  laughter in my house.  until then i believe i will wear my once ivory but now black satin peep toe platforms, with the baby blue insoles, last worn when i was surrounded by masses and masses of roses, and my mother and a husband and two step children and my daughter by my side, all showered with petals...


why not?


7 comments:

  1. I adore your writing as it resonates with me. I suppose I am going through a similar experience/feeling with my daughters grown and moving out on their own. All I seem to have close is my precious pup. They say home is in the heart and it appears you have many fond loving memories to keep you warm. Hold on to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw...thanks...xxx I've got mr. chase as well, and a great guy, but i really wasn't prepared to experience such isolation after alice disappeared. sometimes i just marvel when i see friends with actual families! mothers and fathers and multiple children lol...maybe i should tempt fate and try for one more ? lol keep the faith sista xoxo

      Delete
  2. You write so beautifully, Cynthia. I'm sure this feels like a strange season for you, but I'm sure it's preparing you for something magnificent. I think we go through solo seasons every now and then to figure who we are in this moment without the views of those who typically surround us. You bring such a sense of beauty and celebration to the world. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well thats a very nice thing to say...don't really know why i am blogging, other than the first blog i ever wrote chronicled my life with alice when she was little, and i really feel like maybe i should cherish my time alone just as much..xoxo

      Delete
  3. You're so right about wearing Louboutins to see Dita von Teese. I'm glad you finally found the ones you dyed black. A country cottage is an unusual place to store such a style. Maybe in the back of your mind you knew someday you'd be ready to see your Sleeping Beauty again. I like what you said about not focusing on yourself on Mother's Day. Such a refreshing sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i really love the sleeping beauty analogy! lol...perhaps it should be sleeping beauties? i really felt so much emotion with those shoes, but now i actually love the charge i get out of them! xx

      Delete