Thursday, March 15, 2018

the easter squirrel


so i somehow just completed seven days sugar free.  everyone says it only takes a few days to get over the withdrawal symptoms, but i still have some lingering cravings.  to say i have a sweet tooth just might be an understatement.  i have 32 sweet teeth, and they are very big teeth.  hence the cheshire cat smile on my face every time i have dessert.
now i do not plan to give up sugar forever.  no.  not at all.  i just occasionally taper off in order to rebalance my system, and re-sensitize if you will.  i truly feel a great piece of chocolate is a health food simply because of the endorphins.  and isn't pleasure the opposite of stress?  sort of?  and i always thought cortisol is the stress hormone that causes illness.... L  O  L i know how silly this really is, but anyway it was time to just stop with the sweets for a little while.
day one of operation sugar free, and i went to target and bought a pretty little white painted easter basket and filled it with six cadbury eggs, and a bag of small cadbury eggs and some cute little foil wrapped chocolate bugs and some marshmallow chicks.  truly i plan to give this basket to alice, like i do every year.  i then proceeded on to the grocery store where i picked up a truly beautiful piece of wild alaskan salmon for dinner, and some french lentils and organic carrots.... aaaand a box of dark chocolate violet marshmallows.   i then went home and burrowed down deep in my closet, tunneling way past the silk and the lace and the velvet gowns, and found a nice little hiding spot amongst the dust bunnies who inhabit the very darkest region of my wardrobe.  there i have my sweet little cache of chocolate and candy and marshmallows just waiting to be put out for easter.  add in a pretty little box from laduree and et voila!  a gold mine of treats.  the mother load.  an insurance policy, or a promise that they are there when the time is right.  that i don't have to feel cut off from what i love but i simply am strong enough to exercise my willpower.  just knowing my little easter treats are all squirreled away snugly in the darkest depths of my closet makes me feel far less crazy for junk.  and excited to put together a pretty little basket for my still beloved bunny...


craving of the week: wheat germ

pet peeves of the week: being greeted with "hey guys"...i shudder...

pleasure of the week:  a surprise bouquet of flowers from alice

saying of the week:  imitation is the sincerest form of flattery


life is sweet


2 comments:

  1. Cynthia
    I cannot imagine how you do it, at my age, just looking at sugar adds an extra inch to my waistline, and yet despite your self-admitted love affair with chocolate, you still look fabulous in black. Oh well, no one ever said life is fair, might be sweet, but it is definitely not fair...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh believe me, its a constant struggle for me! i don't deny myself. i just pace it...xx

      Delete