Sunday, March 19, 2017

Not the kids table....




So this week was one for the books, full of wonderful things, and my head is spinning with happy thoughts, both deep and superficial.  It was calm, yet life changing and delightful.  Clearly on autopilot, I shopped and cooked, and threw a great dinner party together.  Since January, both Alice and I have been nonstop action...too social for my personality, never home, living out of a suitcase, subsisting on take out, and drama, and as a result, I have not been very domestic at all.  Out of the clear blue, somehow a long overdue evening full of good food, and great music happened.  Three friends phoned, and then three extras popped out of nowhere at the very last minute, and I was thrilled to have a full house.  A classic more is more/less is more kind of situation.  Nothing better than an unplanned, impromptu, boozy, cozy, almost spring dinner party, except my dining table only seats so many... Sooo with the intoxicating aroma of a lovely roasting chicken in the air, and a fragrant frost outside, I made a children's table of sorts, with my desk, and when pressed into service, is always the VIP seating...only not for kids, and within speaking distance from everyone else at the main table.  In my opinion its always the best seat in the house, complete with different china, unpolished silver, mismatched chairs, better wine, and paper flowers. There should have been a velvet rope around it...I am convinced unstarched linens and already burned candles make for the most romantic setting imaginable.  I need to do this more often...


So wearing my most gorgeous long slinky blue dress, I poured myself a glass of champagne, and removed the books and clutter from my desk top.  Ten minutes later, I had a table set even prettier than my carefully thought out main table, which did have the loveliest fresh flowers, however...


Alice made the most impressive chocolate soufflé for dessert...


We listened to everything from The Velvet Underground to Vivaldi...


12 comments:

  1. ciao,hello...how nice!how stylish!how romantic!...your touch is Magic...and...the chocolate soufflé for dessert by Alice...just the idea is so mouthwatering...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! Alice's soufflé was a real treat for me....xx

      Delete
    2. have a great start of Spring!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, elegant, and incredibly cozy- I love how you add a touch of elegance to everything you do. I am so inspired by your attention to detail. I am off to plan my own impromptu dinner party! Hopefully it will be half as lovely as your evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind....I truly had a modern, freshly set main dining table. White plates, Yeoward wine glasses, white flowers, and luckily it all worked out in a theatrical, romantic kind of way....we had fun and laughs which is the best part! xx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfection, as always. I need to start entertaining again. I've been a complete hermit this winter. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about the change of seasons that is inspiring. Break out that wedding china! xx

      Delete
  5. You inspire me to do it !!! I don't have any business in the kitchen (Can we order pizza ?) Love you and all your adventures home and abroad XO Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just do it! The special Betsy way! And sending love right back at ya!!! xxoo

      Delete
  6. Lovely table and I really liked all other arrangements as well. We have also been making plans for a wine and dine themed party on our grandfather’s 70th birthday but would like to book the indoor vintage themed Los Angeles event venues for that. Hoping to find a good spot soon.

    ReplyDelete