Tuesday, November 21, 2017

the simple life


i've been in love with colefax and fowlers classic bowood wallpaper for what seems to be forever.  always in the back of my mind i fantasized about putting together a delightful and feminine room with either the walls papered, or curtains made from the fabric, or both.  as loft dweller in the city, as well as owning a tiny lilliputian size house in the country/suburbs of gorgeous green pennsylvania, neither dwelling ever seemed to be the right place to splurge.

the new york loft is large and sunny and spare, and well...super simple.  i thought about maybe having maybe a small slipper chair reupholstered in bowood for my bedroom there, but never did.

my tiny little house in the country is so fresh and plain and freshly scrubbed.  surrounded by giant oak trees, and towering pines, it is newly lime washed white brick on the outside, and inside the rooms are small, the ceilings lowish, and the old wood floors are worn, and just begging to be painted.  every wall is white or off white, and all embellishment is kept to a minimum.  think hudson bay blankets, and wicker chairs and baskets filled with firewood and shelves full of paperbacks.  imagine patchwork quilts, the odd scrap of faded chintz and mismatched furniture and leftovers from previous and grander abodes, yet the house is still, well...super simple...and my favorite place to be.  it is truly the coziest place in the world, and is my respite.

the only wallpaper in the house was a lovely sky blue wallpaper from york that just blended into the bathroom walls, which other than the kitchen was the only option for wallpaper, since the rest of the house has unpaperable, rough plaster walls.  i papered it myself years ago, and while i still loved it, it was not well done.  the pretty butterfly pattern truly just looked like an extension of what was outside the window, and the walls just disappeared and the tiny little bathroom looked bigger and open.  my faded old green silk balloon shades were perfect with it, but it had to go.  the combo was a sublime mix, but truthfully a long shower would have steamed my cheapy diy work right off the walls!

so i hired a the best paperhanger in town, lol, and was giddy with excitement after ordering my four or was it eight, tiny rolls of colefax gorgeousness.  truly i fell asleep that evening imagining hot fragrant deep soaks in the tub surrounded by those very proper, iconic grey and green blooms, earl grey filled tea cup, or bourbon tumbler perched on the side of the bath, byron candles burning, and fresh rose and pine scented air wafting in from the open window...

so imagine my disappointment when the first rolls of the fabulously gorgeous bowood were hung, and they started looking wrong to my eye.  beautiful, yes....but so wrong.  what I thought would be light and quaint and almost whimsical, looks so exquisite and decorated and formal, and almost brown in tone.  too exquisite for my humble, scrubbed, and whitewashed little house!  i had imagined it would be a very light and fresh paper, but in the tiny little bathroom, it looks very dark and sepia toned, and the room looks smaller and crowded.  instead of blending into the background like a vintage bouquet, it takes front and center stage in the humble little abode.  it is the star.  a fabulous, busy, orderly shining star that really looks like it should be in a grander georgian home in england, instead of my humble little shack in rural pennsylvania.  the green shade looks so formal and heavy and dreary now.  maybe i simply need to replace the green taffeta with white muslin, though now i am wondering if we should stop before the last two rolls are hung, and just call it a day?


alice says proceed and finish up and maybe it will look more comfortable and lighter in feel after i see the finished room, but then again, i could just start over and paint the walls in farrow and ball borrowed light, a gallon of which i just happen to have in the basement, all ready to be used somewhere, and keep the remaining paper rolls for another place, another time...


i was so excited to see the new paper.  the paper hanger is meticulous, and primed the walls with a very dark looking sizing, which makes me wonder... 



fresh free range eggs from a friends farm are always in the kitchen.



my mothers cast iron cookware is in use.


chipped mugs are the sentimental house favorite.

15 comments:

  1. I'm with Alice. Give it time and change out the curtain??? It's such a beautiful paper.
    Let it be a lady in waiting instead of the queen. I do love your blog it reminds me to slow down and just enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a beautiful paper! Always it was my favorite, everywhere, so imagine my surprise? Hopefully it is dryer and lighter a few days later. Just don't want disharmony in the house XX

      Delete
  2. I so feel for you. Many years ago, in my first marital home - a humble two up two down Victorian cottage, I saved for weeks to buy a thick, heavy, handblocked red and gold fleur de lys Wallpaper ( it was the ‘80’s !) My husband’s uncle (supposedly the ‘best decorator in London’ came and hung the paper. Because the paper was hand printed, on every join where the glue had oozed out, he had wiped the excess away leaving length after length with a shiny lighter coloured streak. I was heartbroken. Even more so because we had no option but to paint over it. BUT, as someone who has used this Bowood wallpaper in a similar sounding cottage to yours, I beg you to stick with it. In my guest room I have plain cream linen blinds under a fixed pelmet of this Bowood fabric and the matching wallpaper. . On the bed I have LuLu Guinesse’s fabulous colourful embroidered Tree of Life Hanging as a bedcover. I have dark green glass lamps with plain cream scalloped edge shades. There is Seagrass on the floor and a little brass bamboo banqueting chair in the corner. And it all looks lovely - that weird strange mix has roughed it up a little & it just works. Maybe pull out some of the colours in the leaves with accessories ? Room for a wicker chair ? Weatherboarding on the bath ? I’m with Alice. Stay with it. Remember it always takes the eye a little while to get used to something new. Your previous wallpaper was lovely but very ‘loose’ in design. I also was surprised at the rather ‘geometric’ repeat of Bowood but I’m still in love with it ! The last thing I’ll add and then I’ll stop rambling, is it can take days to dry out & gets lighter as it does ... I’ve never seen a dark sizing though .... the true colour of the paper once hung is a definite clean cream. Perhaps it’s the way the light falls in your bathroom. I love it with that pretty balloon shade. Light those candles, run a bath and start to embrace the New Look :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not rambling...It is helping me to decide. lol The sound of a clean cream background is making me feel positive again.. It has been a few days since I visited, and the sizing was very dark, as was the paper. I actually posted a very lightened picture of the room, so I shall keep my fingers crossed. Trying to decide if I should get in the car and drive there for our Thanksgiving holiday, and take one more peek...xx

      Delete
  3. Your country house sounds incredibly cozy. Must be a wonderful place to relax and recharge. I like the new wallpaper. I say finish and give it time. In the end- it can always be changed. Bowood is a favorite of mine, as well. There is something so sweet and quaint about it. I love your blog - as a single hard-working mom it encourages me to slow down and enjoy the simple pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dana! I am checking in to the possibility that the sizing underneath might have changed the color, but I will sleep on it some more I guess. I am so glad you enjoy the blog, and the simple things are always the best! XX

      Delete
  4. It should definitely be a cream not beige background. Keep an unhung piece to compare with the finished room: in my experience - and I’ve used it several times, it dries to the same affect as a new roll. A plain unfussy tailored roman blind and an earthenware cream jug of loose wild flowers would country it up a bit. Youre so stylish and have lovely homes so interiors advice is the last thing you need. Happy thanksgiving wherever you go xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have just inquired about the color of the sizing...Ill keep you posted! Thank you XX

      Delete
  5. I agree with Alice - wait and give it, it is a beautiful paper. Colorwise it is a big difference to the one you had before so maybe you just need to get used to it. From the pic it rather looks like a spring/summer colored paper, if you know what I mean. Maybe it looks better in spring when the light is back. Now with winter coming up the light is not helping to catch the atmosphere ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it is a light issue, and I realized everything else in the house is very white and blue based. This is very earth toned.

      Delete
  6. Maybe a different light bulb could help?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks very pretty, so hopefully the sizing lightened when it fully dried. I hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. I am back in New York, and hopefully when I get back it will look great...Thank you! xx

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete