Sunday, January 1, 2017

New Year New Start

So its a new year.  I have never really been very big on New Years Eve, and all the symbolism and the resolutions.  Usually I treat it like any other day to be honest....the only thing that ever really gets to me is my birthday one day prior.  The change in calendar makes me really feel one year older.

When I started my first blog in January of 2012, I had no idea whatsoever why I wanted to blog.  As a matter of fact it was Alice who suggested it, I think partly because at that time I was heavily into reading so many wonderful blogs, some of which are now defunct, and some still going strong.

Those were somewhat dark days for me.  I had just ended my second marriage....yes, second.  It was a brief, intense five month disaster worthy of a great director....a postmodernist masterpiece....It followed many years of single motherhood, and soul searching, and growing and stretching for me, as well as watching my first husband fall in love and remarry, my estranged mother fall ill, and the stock market crash...the world felt precarious and shaky, and I really wanted to get on with my life.

I wanted my happy ending.  My second marriage.  A shoulder to lean on, and a partner to trust.

Fast forward to divorce number two.  And the quiet realization that I was much happier alone, and really really blessed to have so much in my life.  I looked around and saw the beautiful Miss Alice, my best friend, and somehow we had survived a big, weird year together....she without a scratch, and I with some severely wounded pride, and ending not with heartbreak, but with lots of embarrassment and seriously doubting my intelligence.  When I was unhappy, and wondering how to pick up the pieces, I wrote.  I focused on the tiny, pretty, little yet big pieces of a large unruly life, and I grew addicted to my newly found rose colored glasses.  It was fun to blog about my dinner parties, and vacations, and the butterflies in my garden, not to mention the joy of meeting through letters and eventually in person so many readers.  Today I am a happier, luckier person to count several very cherished friends met through this wonderful network.

Every day got happier, every month prettier, and the realization that I was essentially chronicling Alice's High School years at home with me was not lost on many.  There were times I panicked, and it was as if I could actually hear the clock ticking.....wondering what would happen upon High School graduation.  Would we disappear like a pumpkin?  I worried for nothing, but life most definitely changed, and with that the rhythm of blogging and our quiet, snug little life together.

So last year I started blogging again.  Posted a little, but I really couldn't find a rhythm or reason to post, but this year I believe I have.

Alice and I individually and together have never been both so happy and so fully engaged with life as in the past two years since Alice transferred schools....  I love that she's here in NYC.  We still visit our old Green Shuttered House a few times a year.  Our lives are still extremely close, and both of us are so fulfilled with our new endeavors and both of us loving life to the fullest.  Every day feels like a holiday, a celebration, a feast....we pinch ourselves...  we are able to giggle and cry and caper .....

So I fell in love again...and again...and again.....And bounced back without a scratch each time.

But last night was perhaps a bit of a painful one for me.

I need to know I can get past this one.  I've already got a date or two lined up with a couple of very serious swells for this week, but my heart isn't in it.  My heart is on the floor, confused and bloodied, and feeling bedraggled and worn.

Last night was a big punch in the stomach for me.  The wind was knocked right out of me.

Trying to figure out if I got played.  Don't think I was that naive....It takes two....

Just saying his name out loud always felt beautiful....I had been so excited to see him.  And I really didn't want to say goodbye....sitting in my brand new car there in Brooklyn Heights at 6:30 on New Years Eve.....I never saw it coming.....

I am hoping to figure out what happened on my own....as he couldn't find the words himself.  I focused on the cuff of my blue and purple flowered shirt....I watched his handsome face drop with frustration, his hands motion with something I couldn't quite understand, all I could think was it was a joke, that the most beautiful being sitting right next to me would say something to reverse what was happening, and we would get out of the car together, holding hands, and all I really wanted was to reach out and run my fingers through his dark wavy hair....

I held my head up high, and said goodbye.......not with bitterness or negotiation, but quietly....I instinctively turned my face when he came in for one final kiss on my cheek.....he dropped his head with frustration, got out of the car since I wasn't interested in the drama, and I realized he was no longer mine.

Carefully I pulled my brand new shiny black birthday present, bought just the day before, away from the curb where I was parked, and slowly drove away from the man I thought I could love.........




14 comments:

  1. So beautiful and raw. All I can think to say.I just hope 2017 will bring you lots of joy, wonder and TRUE love....if your ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ready! Thank you for the good wishes....hope it wasn't too raw, but I appreciate all the help thinking my way out of this. Best to you...Happy New Year xx

      Delete
  2. Cynthia
    That is just such a wonderful piece of writing, really it is, and no, I do not know Seth, or husband number two, or even husband number one, but I do know they missed out, and that is their loss. So please keep on being the honest, and true, beautifully sincere, artistic, glamorous, and full of life and love young woman who shines through with each and every post, and, yes, please, keep on writing...
    Oh
    &
    Peace
    Love
    &
    Happiness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, somehow you always bring tears to my eyes! I can always hear a persons honesty....unless of course I'm dating him...lol Thank you for your support, and encouragement....writing this was painful, but worth it. This is my therapy, again....Happy New Year xx

      Delete
  3. Cynthia, I am so sorry to read this and sad to read you are crying. This will be a wonderful year for you and you will find someone who loves you and deserves you. I predict you will be single for 3 weeks tops.

    Seth's loss.

    Stay strong and positive. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really really appreciate the pep talk......Thank you....three weeks, huh? lol Its so hard to get back in the saddle.....Much love, and Happy New Year xoxo

      Delete
  4. I have followed your blog for a few years now as I am also a single mom to wonderful daughters. Your blog always resonates with me and I have come to admire how you see the beauty and elegance in the world around you. Dating is so incredibly difficult and I am so sorry for this recent breakup. The love of my life literally just disappeared from my life after we sent 4 fabulous years together. It is now two years later, and although I have dated lots since then, I know I have not (and perhaps never will) fully heal from that unexpected ending. Like you though, I still believe in love. I sincerely wish you peace, happiness, joy, and much success in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The not having seen it come aspect is the worst....I am sorry about your ending, and honestly can't wait for this to be two years in the past! Real love is ahead for you. I truly believe it is there for all of us, as life is only good when we have someone to share it with....Some of us just have to navigate a bit longer, and learn more about ourselves along the way.....lets just not allow ourselves to lose the ability to trust...ourselves, and others.... Thank you for enjoying my blogs, and my story...Happy New Year filled with love for you!! xx

      Delete
  5. Oh I'm so sorry for your sadness. You are so life affirming, your blog and instagram never fail to lift me. I have just had the worst two years of my life, and in next week having investigations that may find cancer. I am going to be positive whatever happens because I'm tired of being depressed, tired and worried.
    Love is out there for you, but remember keep loving yourself, the amazing Miss Alice and chase, that's all you need for now.
    Sending much love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad my blog lifts you....good luck with next week. M y fingers and toes are crossed for you....Love is out there... I shall find it! Happy New Year xx

      Delete
  6. So sorry to hear. While it seems cliche to say I think in your case it's very apt to say it's his loss indeed. You'll just need to wallow and waffle before you get out there again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying so hard to believe these flattering sentiments......This is hands down the most difficult break up I've ever experienced....canceled a date last night, but I want to magically move on!

      Delete
  7. So sorry for your sadness. Sending you warm thoughts and best wishes for good things in this new year. Clearly you have a lot to offer someone who can appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maggie, thats very kind of you...Just want to forget how bad this feels. I'm sure Ill get there! Happy New Year!

      Delete